Our Love

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

To Catch Up...

Oh my word...its been way to long since my last update.  Where do I begin?  As I write this I am curious how all of you are doing...what you've been up to.  Make sure to write me a note...I would love to hear from you.  

Now...let's get this party started...and speaking of...



I had a birthday since my last post. The honey took me out for a treat at the Fried Pickle...and I'll give you 3 guesses (the first 2 don't count)...as to what their specialty is.  That's right yummy...not so good for you...but again I'll say yummy...fried pickles!



And the weather for my special day couldn't have been better...71 F!!! That's 22 C for all my European friends.  WOW!


And the honey gave me a pair of shoes that I had been wanting for well over a year.  See I gave away almost my entire shoe collection between moving international here and there...so I am slowly but surely beginning a new collection.  These are so cute!



Then we went for a stroll in the small downtown area of Roswell.  This is such a picture of American life to me...what do you think?


Then we visited Whole Foods for the first time.  I LOVED it.  Oh my...I could spend some serious money in there...so we have to be careful. I also love the fact that they offer coupons.  Some great deals...check em out!


For the rest of December we took some time to hang out with friends.  We have been gone a while so we are very keen on building up existing and new friendships.  Wanna be our friend?! :) 

We are very thankful that our friends for the most part are very well traveled and love ethnic food.  So far we've been taking to the likes of Israel...


...and India...well food places that is.  And we couldn't be happier. YUM!

Then it was time to spend quality time with one of my besties.  She was a bridesmaid of mine in our wedding and continues to serve in Ireland as a missionary.  When she came home for Christmas break we decided to treat her to a little Starbucks...


...and what girl wouldn't want a pedicure?  J and I just love this girl and it was our joy to bless her.  We hope to do this more in the future for other missionaries home on furlough.  We know first hand how special it is for someone to bless you like this.  :)


Then it was Christmas.  I mean...it felt like it just snuck up on me.  We spent Christmas eve doing our annual tradition of shopping for each other for stocking stuffers.  Then Christmas day we went over to my brother's house for a meal.  

J really loved the tree with the McDonald's ornament.  Welcome to America! :) 


Although we were stuffed from our Christmas meal...there was no rest for the weary...as we headed out to Xtreme 2011 the day after Christmas.  It is an annual Christian conference/concert for teens...simultaneously happening in several locations throughout the country.  We were part of the organizing crew that went to Branson Missouri.  And the best part...J got to ride on his very first "proper" tour bus!

Here is a picture of our bus...from the back lounge...yes I said lounge.  


Then it was time to hit the road...and hang with some very cool peeps.  We just fell in love with these people...


Here we are lounging on the couches watching the next great baker...and our friend Faith certainly was watching with excitement as she could very well be the next great baker soon!  Check her out: 

www.freshbakedbyfaith.com


And here is J getting all cozy in the bunk...we drove overnight to get to MS.


When we woke...we were here...this BEAUTIFUL Hilton hotel...where the conference was being held.  Oh my...needless to say...we were NOT suffering!


Here is the conference center...we throughly enjoyed the speakers and getting a chance to hang around with Switchfoot, Toby Mac, and the David Crowder Band. 


And this was my view for most of the conference...and I LOVED it!  See that iPhone...its hooked up to a wireless credit card machine...so one of my main jobs was to be in charge of the credit card sales...that and registration.  Oh I loved it and want one of my own...although not sure what I would use it for...but its just so stinking cool!


We so loved being part of this...and "doing ministry" together...something that we as a couple had longed for since I had first been diagnosed in England...and had to stop working. So needless to say it was very special.  

Then it was time for the bus ride home...which turned out to be even more of a blessing when we had the awesome privilege to sit with our Pastor...just to talk with him and share our hearts of where we have been...and to be encouraged.  It was just what we needed. 


Then it was New Years Day...and what other meal would you fix but ham, collard greens, and black eyed peas (an American tradition)...but oh so good! Collard greens aren't pictured because they were already eaten!

After the beginning of the New year...we decided to be more intentional with spending time with our family. 

We enjoy our "Monday Date Nights" with my niece and nephew.  They are little stinkers and hard to beat at the Wii...here J is intently watching to see how they get those high scores...


...and later on in the week I will find him doing this...trying to beat their scores!  


Sorry honey you are good...but they are just little experts.  :)

We also have enjoyed spending time with them on Wednesday nights at our home church.  Below is a picture of FBCW middle school Pastor Rick Young...bringing a great message to the Kids from God's Word.  Us adults were getting a lot out of it too!


We are settling in more and more to life here in America. We've been blessed and the Father is looking after us.  These beautiful winter skies don't seem to hurt either!


Bella the cat is settling well also.  Just these past few weeks she has started her old routine again of sitting on my lap while I have my morning quite time.  


She is such a pretty girl!


And she has definitely gotten her frisky self back...she loves to play...especially with any form of string!


January was also a month for my honey's 31st birthday!  Below is the snickers cheesecake I made for him...per his request...and yes all of that stuff on top are loads of snickers!


Speaking of honey...he has been volunteering to run camera for church services...


Here is one of his shots...sorry its blurry from me taking the picture...but this is a great shot of him panning the crowd from a wide shot and then closing in on the stage. 

Now I am going to brag on him a little...this past week the director made sure to tell me that "he is Sooooooo good at what he does!".  Yes he is...and I am so proud of him!


We've both been volunteering to help with another ministry near and dear to our heart...iVOW...and just this past week wrote, directed, edited, and produced a short trailer for the ministry.  We hope that it will air at church soon!  More to come on this...but if you are a young couple who are engaged or thinking about becoming engaged and live in the Atlanta area...you need to check them out!


People ask how I am doing.  I am doing well.  I have been praying that I would get back into a pastime I used to love...reading.  I've been reading a lot of books lately...but this is one of my favorites along with most challenging. 

 Its called Safe People and it is an eye opener.  I also have been loving Max Lucado's Fearless and the devotional book Jesus Calling.  I just sense the Lord has said in my heart that this is the year of FREEDOM for me...in many ways...more to come on that later too...


Physically I have good days...


...and not so good days. 


I've been getting more and more settled with transferring all my medications Stateside as well as getting to know my doctors. I've been blessed that J has been right by my side!


I've also been asked to be part of an upcoming portrait book for patients on chemo.  Its to share their story...so needless to say I am honored. Here I am getting my make up done for the photo shoot...


Here I am again...and you can really see how my hair is thinning. I've not had total hair loss...as the chemo pill I am on does not tend to make people lose all of their hair...but it definitely thins it out drastically.  I have bald patches showing up...thinking of going short...what do you think?


And the coolest part is that we did the shoot at the Third Day Studio.  Wow...it was amazing!


Here I am sharing my story...


Smile pretty for the camera! Notice my cute new shoes?


And J and I both decided we would love to have this urban look in our future home...I mean I LOVED the decor!


Well that is about all...and I know you are thinking "all...I just read a novel!"  Sorry...I will try to not spread the time out too far next time before I do another update.  Hope you are having a blessed day...love you dear ones!


2 comments:

Sue Hurst said...

Mary only just read your blog as I have been as bad about doing mine, but yours seems so short because of your fab photos! You sound so happy and do hope the freedom is growing/ coming as the Lord says. We are fine, Dave is about to embark on a new career in the education industry using IT to bring primary school education to class room via satelite! Loads love to you both, Dave and Sue xx

Anonymous said...

Thank you dear friend for sharing with us! So glad to hear you are settling back well, Carlisle still misses you! I know my communication lacks a lot at the moment, but you are never far from my mind or heart. Love you! Jenny