Our Love

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Weightlessness




Saturday, June 7, 2008 at 8:07am

Life has its ups and downs...and if you are anything like me, they all tend to hit in mini clusters. Recently my 92 year old grandfather had a massive stroke. In an instant he went from a relatively cognitive thinking person to a state of pure helplessness...not being able to move or feed himself. The Doctors gave us no hope...but that wasn't even the worse thing. The absolute worse for me was watching my grandmother who had been married to this man for over 64 years...sitting by his bedside everyday...just hoping he would open his eyes and say his little "love saying" to her..."Hey Babe". And to make matters worse...it broke my heart to watch my mother hold back tears...as to not to upset my grandmother...because she was trying to be strong. But I know it was breaking her heart as well to see her "daddy" in this condition. It was a real low point in mine and my family’s lives.During this same time, I was going through some major highs in my own personal life. You see, I was in the midst of a great new adventure. I had just left my ministry position at Church the same week this family tragedy was occurring. I had left to step out in faith and pursue my calling to Ireland full time. The more I told of the people and their spiritual needs in Ireland…the more the Lord burned it into my heart that I need to be there for a time such as this…and that passion became very evident. It was all the Lord orchestrating it…but I really felt as if I was on this ride…and even though I didn’t’ know what was coming around the corner…it didn’t matter. Everything was exciting and new. Because He was in control…and He was guiding me. So in the midst of a great family “low”…I was also experiencing a great “high” personally. Literally I felt as if I was on a roller coaster…securely strapped in…unable to maneuver at all...and I felt comforted! It was as if I felt completely “weightless.”Recently I rode a ride at SeaWorld called The Kracken. There was one part of the ride where you actually come out of your seat...and for that split instant your are completely weightless…drifting…but all the while you are safely secure within your seat belt restraints. When I got off the ride I experienced a rush of adrenaline…a “high”. It reminded me of how in the middle of our most difficult times…we can take comfort in our Father and know that he is carrying us through…and be hopeful…because exciting and wonderful things are all around us as well. We just need to rest in being “weightless”. The question to ask yourself…are you completely able to be at peace in the great highs and lows of life and what are your reactions in both cases? “Under His wings I am safely abiding, though the night deepens and the tempests are wild, still I can trust Him; I know He will keep me, He has redeemed me, and I am His child. “-William Orcutt Cushing

No comments: